Network18 Reports Rs433 Mil. EBITDA In Q1 FY16, +99% Y/Y
Highlights of Operations
- Operating revenues on a consolidated basis stood at Rs.793.6 crore in Q1 FY16, up by 12% YoY, from Rs.708.4 crore in Q1 FY15.
- Q1 FY16 Profit Before Tax (before exceptional and prior period items) on a consolidated basis stood at Rs.5.8 crore, turning positive from a loss of Rs.43.9 crore in Q1 FY15
- Q1 FY16 consolidated EBITDA stood at Rs.49.1 crore, up by 99% YoY, from Rs.24.7 crore in Q1 FY15.
- EBITDA for the current quarter includes profit of Rs.43.3 crore on sale of stake in Stargaze Entertainment Private Limited.
Network18 is one of the largest digital media companies in India attracting over 20 million* unique visitors per month in Q1 FY16.
- Business/Finance: Moneycontrol.com continued to lead the news category across parameters on the web, with 256 million* page views and close to 6 minutes* average time spent during the quarter. The site had 6 million* unique visitors during Q1 FY16.
- News – IBNLive.com, Firstpost.com and News18.com: IBNLive website underwent a revamp to impart a modern and flexible interface. During the quarter, the site registered close to 5 million* average unique visitors per month with 52 million* average monthly page views. News18 launched Gujarati and Urdu offerings, increasing its presence to 12 states. The website clocked close to 300,000 unique visitors per month, with 3 million* average monthly page views.
- HomeShop18 strengthened its distribution network with addition of 22 more towns across states like Goa, MP, Maharashtra, Orissa, UP, Jharkhand and Rajasthan. This quarter saw some new programming concepts and properties like Jewellery Special, Friday Premiere and Fashion Sale to tap targeted audience and specific hours. The channel reached out to an average of 48 million1 users per month.
- BookMyShow had significant growth in traffic with over 70 million visits on average per month in Q1 FY16, an increase of 62% compared to the previous quarter. The average page views grew to 1.6 billion per month for the quarter as compared to 0.8 billion in Q4 FY15. Number of tickets sold grew almost 100% over the last quarter.
1) (Source: TAM| CS 4+| All India| All days| 24 hrs| Avg. Monthly reach| Q1 FY16)
*(As per independent industry data sources)
- Network18 Publishing: Under its publishing division, Network18 operates 3 leading brands, ‘Overdrive’, ‘Better Photography’ and ‘Better Interiors’ across print and digital media. During Q1 FY16, Overdrive had close to 4 million* page views and over 465,000* unique visitors per month.
- Forbes: Forbes India released a special edition in May, on the occasion of its sixth anniversary, on the theme ‘The Next Four Years’, outlining NDA government’s first year in office and the road ahead. Eminent industry leaders like Sanjiv Goenka, Shikha Sharma and Steve Forbes penned their views on the theme.
*(As per independent industry data sources)
- CNBC-TV18 and CNBC Awaaz continued to be No.1 business news channels in their genres with 56%1 and 58%2 market share, respectively. CNBC Bajar continued to engage with its audience, reaching out to over 6.5 million3 viewers in this quarter.
- CNN-IBN continued to be a dominant player, increasing its market share from 26% in Q1 FY15 to 28%4 in Q1FY16. IBN7 reached out to almost 100 million5 viewers during the quarter. IBN Lokmat continued to expand its digital footprint with over 1 million Facebook fans, 10,000+ Twitter followers and close to 10 million views on YouTube.
- Colors was the No.16 channel in prime time and continued to be No.26 in weekly gross viewership in the genre. MTV garnered a viewership of over 4 million7 during this quarter.
- Viacom18 English channels (Vh1 and Comedy Central) had a market share of 49%8 in Q1 FY16. Vh1 led the English music and lifestyle genre with 32%9 market share.
- Nick and Nick Junior continued to lead the kids category10.
- During the quarter, Prism’s regional entertainment channels ETV Bangla, ETV Gujarati, ETV Kannada and ETV Odia were successfully rebranded to Colors Bangla, Colors Gujarati, Colors Kannada and Colors Odia respectively. Colors Marathi won the first ever Regional Promax award in the best entertainment promo category. Colors Kannada emerged as a strong No.1 player in Karnataka with 39%11 market share.
- History TV18 led the genre in terms of time spent per viewer at 39 minutes12.
- ETV News Odia, the 10th and latest addition to Panorama’s regional news bouquet, was launched on May 4, 2015. This helps to further increase Panorama’s stronghold in the regional news space. ETV Rajasthan and ETV Bihar Jharkhand remained No.1 in their respective markets, with 46% and 43%13 market shares respectively.
- Viacom18 Motion Pictures’ ‘Gabbar is Back’ was a huge commercial success and gathered highly positive response from critics and audience alike. ‘Margarita with a Straw’ won awards in various prestigious film festivals like Toronto International Film Festival, Busan International Film Festival and BFI London Film Festival.
1) (Source: TAM| All India| CS AB M 25+| wk14-26’15| All days, 24 hours)
2) (Source: TAM| HSM| CS AB M 25+| wk14-26’15| All days, 24 hours)
3) (Source: TAM| All India| CS 4+| wk14-26’15|All days, 24 hours)
4) (Source: Q1 FY16 till 27th June’15 Source: TAM, TG: CS 4+, Market: All India Period: 24 Hrs, All Days)
5) (Source: TAM| All India| CS 4+| wk14-26’15 | All days, 24 hours)
6) (Source: BARC; NCCS 4 +; HSM)
7) (Source: BARC 15-30 AB HSM- Wk 25)
8) (Source: BARC Mega Cities NCCS AB Week 16-25, 2015 )
9) (Source: BARC Period: April 2015-June 2015, NCCS AB, Mega Cities)
10) (Source: BARC All India Ratings 000s, 4-14 NCCS ABC, 07:00 –22:00, week 21-25 ‘2015)
11) (Source: BARC, Market: Karnataka , TG:CS 4+ , Period : Wk 21’15 to Wk 25’15 , All days)
12) (Source: TAM, CS SEC A Males 15+, Avg. Weekly Time Spent, Wk 14-26’15, All India)
13) (Source-TAM CS 15+ Wk-14'15-26'15)